16 New Year's Resolutions Every Recruiter Should Make
Melissa Suzuno is the Content Marketing Manager at Greenhouse, where she gets to share her love of the written word and endorse the use of the Oxford comma on a daily basis. Before joining Greenhouse, Melissa built out the content marketing programs at Parklet (an onboarding and employee experience solution) and AfterCollege (a job search resource for recent grads), so she's made it a bit of a habit to help people get excited about and invested in their work. Find Melissa on Twitter and LinkedIn.
It’s that time of year again. In late December and early January, many of us feel the need to look back on everything we’ve done (or haven’t done) over the past 12 months and attempt to make some promises to ourselves in the hopes that we’ll do a better job over the next 12 months.
But don’t worry—I’m not here to make you feel guilty about that unused gym membership or the monthly budget that got blown on a cute pair of boots. Nope, I’m just here to share some of the best practices we’ve gathered from the Greenhouse community over the past year. While they may not be exactly easy, these resolutions should be pretty simple to stick to. And if you’re hoping to make 2017 the year you get a promotion, a raise, or just a rousing round of recognition for your hard work, then these are some resolutions you’ll definitely want to follow!
- I will apply for a job at my own company (and get at least 3 other people to do the same) to test out our candidate experience.
- I’ll challenge myself to think of something more creative than “Did you find the office okay?” as my opening line when greeting candidates.
- I won’t repurpose internal and external job descriptions—I’ll give each the respect they deserve.
- I’ll get better at remembering candidates’ first and last names—an essential aspect of creating a warm candidate experience!
- I will consider myself to be a member of a new People team—and act like one, too!
- I’ll get ready for my close-up with the appropriate clothing, camera gear, and ideas for video content. (Feeling stuck? Check out our webinar with Uncubed for more info.)
- I won’t be afraid to ask for the resources my team needs to succeed. And I’ll be prepared for that meeting with execs, too.
- I’ll finally get to at least ONE of the books I was planning to read over the summer.
- I’ll make sure EVERYONE at my company understands what Structured Hiring is—and how to do it.
- I’ll try out at least five of these tips for building better relationships with my hiring managers.
- Speaking of hiring managers, I’ll use a Design Thinking strategy to help solve complex problems with hiring managers and other recruiting team members.
- I won’t neglect the “power hour” that makes it so much easier to make the right hire.
- I’ll be sure to stay in touch with "silver medalist candidates" for when other jobs that suit them open up.
- I’ll get a head start on finding top talent early by building out an internship program.
- I’ll stop being afraid of data. (The 5 Recruiting Key Performance indicators eBook can help!)
- I’ll keep reading the Greenhouse Blog & subscribe to The Modern Recruiter newsletter! (This one’s easy—just click on the button below!)